Just a little something I made up for a visit to Andrew Hyde's new house in the hills.
I had checked in with Andrew to find out what kind of whiskey he liked, but it turns out he is so gluten averse that even grain-based spirits could cause him trouble. Instead, he said he mostly sticks to mezcal these days.
I got lucky in that he is a big Campari fan!
- 2 oz Mezcal (Sombra is good)
- ¾ oz Campari
- ½ oz Lavender simple syrup *
- ¼ oz Orange liqueur (Leopold’s, Cointreau, Triple Sec)
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Lavender simple syrup:
- Dissolve equal parts sugar (or honey if you prefer that flavor) with water.
- Simmer until completely combined and perhaps a bit reduced.
- Turn off heat and toss in the unopened flowers of a lavender plant (no stems).
- Cover and steep for up to 30 minutes.
- Let cool, strain, store refrigerated.