Near the end of August in 2001, after a four month period of being unemployed, I finally found a job with a Boulder company called e-InfoData.com (Holy internet cliche overload!). We'll round the ensuing passage of time up to five and a half years for the purpose of this discussion. In that period the company changed it's name to InsightAmerica, moved its office to Broomfield, and eventually was acquired by a corporate giant (name uselessly withheld). The basic "job" of the company never really changed, and the work was mostly interesting on a nuts-and-bolts level (I still think we regularly pushed ColdFusion well beyond its normal bounds and managed to make it work.), even if the bigger picture at times gave me the heebee-jeebees.
At a more micro level, I've had the opportunity to work with some amazing people (particularly within the technology teams - but outside that, as well). In fact, most of the people I currently consider my best friends were first coworkers.
On a work level, there have certainly been ups and downs, but on a personal level this job has been nothing but positive.
You've probably already guessed that I've decided it's time for me to move on.
- I'm going back to Boulder. (meh. I'll miss my 10 minute commute, but I only think I'm doubling it.)
- It's a very small company. (sweet! I enjoy the dynamic of a small company much more than a megalocorp.)
- I'll be working with an old friend. (yay! This is actually the only reason I applied for the job when I saw it come across the wire.)
- I'm going to be working daily on a Mac. (w00t! This excites me unreasonably. Not to mention the HUGE monitors they use.)
- I'll eventually get to work with Ruby on Rails professionally. (double w00t!! I've been a fanboy since the early days, though I've never actually done anything with it.)
I'm also leaving a lot of friends behind. Hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch - the Denver Metro area isn't a very big place, really. Some of us already have outside-of-work connections, but I want to cultivate more of those.
So, yeah... That's what's going on with me.
Let's have Nina Simone carry us out, shall we?
Its a new dawn Its a new day Its a new life For me And I'm feeling good