So, yeah... I'm still here. Here's a little catch-up:
- My efforts at work on the superultramegaubercrazy-high priority project have come to a rather frustrating result so far thanks to interoperability problems between ColdFusion 5 and Oracle9. Every time we hit the Oracle9 database it causes the memory usage of the ColdFusion server to climb, with that memory never being released. This eventually causes the connection to the database to die with an S1001 Memory Allocation Error, which requires a ColdFusion restart to fix the problem (until the memory allocation builds back up again). Super-fucking-duper.
- The Big Blue Couches rock. While we are trying to keep the pets off them, it's obviously futile. At least the puddles of Mingus hair come off the ultra-luscious blue microsuede without a problem. I'm just extra-pleased with the fact taht I can lie completely prostrate on the big sofa without touching either arm.
- The Wife and I have been to the hotbox yoga a total of three times so far. I am enjoying it quite a bit, though I think I may have overstretched my back the last time out. We hope to squeeze a couple more classes into our two week trial period.
- My motorcycle wrenching buddy Erik and his wife are inches away from having their baby boy. Very exciting times for them!
- I'll be brining the second turkey of the month for Thanksgiving festivities starting tonight. If you haven't brined a turkey or at least eaten the product of said process, I can't even express how much you need to try it.
- I'm almost done with the Tales of the Otori trilogy. I highly recommend all three books.
- Now let's turn the lens outward a bit:
- Winners seem few and far between at American Music Awards -- The hour we watched was pretty worthless.
- BitTorrent to block links to pirate flicks -- Smart. There will always be way to find torrents of pirated material, though.
- Breastfeeding appears to reduce diabetes risk -- Huh... Of course this is one of those studies that will eventually be conflicted by another study that says "breastfeeding give you brain tumors" or something. Kind of liek the red wine is good/bad for you studies.
- The Xbox 360 is out - and sold out. Reviews are mostly so-so, and it might have a few bugs still. They call it the "bleeding edge" for a reason, eh?
- Oh, and Paris Hilton got attacked by her pet kinkajou (which the press generally has been calling a "monkey" - obviously, it's actually a Pokemon). Thankfully, it looks like she may not get to keep the varmint -- Just the fact that she named it "Baby Luv" is a clear case of animal abuse.
And thus concludes today's category smorgasbord.